Noodles For Peace

This post is part of Round 2 of the AW chain.

In the last post in the chain, Matt writes about all the places he'd like to travel someday. The next best thing to traveling the world is experiencing a part of it the comfort of your own home. I thought I'd continue the chain with my latest adventure in my favorite sort of armchair travel: new and interesting foods from around the world.

I love to browse around "ethnic" markets for new stuff to try: the different cuts of beef in the Mexican supermarket, various forms of Kim Chee in the Korean market, fresh and inexpensive produce at the Chinese grocery, etc. One of my favorite places to shop for new foods, though, is the 99c Only Store. The shelves have all kinds of unique and interesting things to try, and, even if it tastes bad, you are only out 99 cents.

My latest purchase was a package of "Wide-Cut Chili Noodles" from a company called "Bali Spice". With the ingredients limited to wheat flour, fresh red chilies, sea salt and water, I figured I couldn't go wrong. (And they were a pretty pale chili red color besides). After bringing them home, I started reading the fine print on the back for serving suggestions, and came across an interesting statement:
BALI SPICE products are made in a woman-owned Indonesian factory where Christians, Muslims and Buddhist work together. 5% of profits go to groups fostering religious and ethnic tolerance.
The parent company, PeaceWorks has the following philosophy:
We are guided by the Theory of Economic Cooperation which reveals the following:

Profitable economic cooperation initiatives can cement relations between rivals in the same way that common-place business partners profit from exchange in today's market place.

In this manner, business can enable the conditions necessary to achieve long-lasting social understanding and prosperity in conflict regions around the world. PeaceWorks acts at the catalyst for economic interdependence.

Simply put, If wallets are married, relations can be stronger. PeaceWorks is founded on this theory -- and is proving to be a recipe for corporate success.
Sounds good to me!

And how did they taste? Pretty good, but not as spicy as I expected. I did my own version of the recipe on the package, as follows:

Recipe: Bali Spice Chili Noodles

INGREDIENTS

1 package noodles (7oz/200g) - I actually only used about 2/3 package in the recipe
1 large chopped onion
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 lb minced meat (I used chicken)
3-4 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp chili sauce with ginger
(I used a healthy splash of Crystal hot sauce + a couple slices of ginger, minced)
1/3 lb straw mushrooms, drained (I used a handful of rehydrated black fungus)

- pour boiling water over the noodles and let stand 4-5 minutes. Drain. (the texture is very similar to pad thai noodles).

- Sauté the onion in the vegetable oil for about 1 minute.

- Add the meat, soy sauce, chili sauce, and ginger and stir fry until onions are translucent.

- Add the mushrooms, stir fry one more minute.

- Add the noodles, stir fry three more minutes.

Easy and tasty! I'd make it again (and I would look for Bali Spice noodles to make it with).

Next up in the AW Chain: Mad Scientist Matt
Read the AW Chain!


Tags: , , ,

Comments

Bhaswati said…
If wallets are married, relations can be stronger.

Great philosophy. Economy is a crucial key in the quest for world peace, and this principle sounds a good way to forge it.

The recipe is delish! I can't wait to make it. Thanks for sharing :)
Kelly Curtis said…
What a great philosophy!
Anonymous said…
What a great philosophy that company has, especially in light of the religious intolerence in this region that lead to wars.

So, you like spicy food, do you? I have recipes... :D
Peggy K said…
Recipes, you say? I love trying new recipes (and, yes, bring on the heat!).