Go Bears!

Photo of me and mom at Parents and Alumni Weekend. Mom is holding a champagne glass with orange juice and I am wearing a large foam Go Bears claw.

Now the Bloganuary prompts are getting personal.

January 3 Prompt: What colleges have you attended?

I got my bachelor's degree from the University of California at Berkeley, 3 dozen years ago. 

I'm a second generation Golden Bear. Both of my parents graduated from Cal as well. Maybe a bit oddly, I knew the California Drinking Song (and several other Cal fight songs) before I even graduated high school. 

In recent years, my mom (class of '53) and I would head to Berkeley for Parents and Alumni Weekend in October. We'd attend a few interesting faculty lectures, check out the tours and displays in the Library and science facilities like the Jepson Herbarium, watch the marching band and get refreshments at Alumni House.

The campus is built on a hillside, with some fairly steep paths, but there were golf cart shuttles to help move people around (if you could find one).

I say it in the past because 2019 was likely our last year doing that. 

There were only virtual sessions in 2020 (not surprisingly) and that has evolved into a "hybrid" event. But there weren't many virtual sessions in 2023, and most of the action is now back on campus. Unfortunately mom isn't up to traversing the campus, even with the provided rides. 

We'll keep watching from home. And, as always, Go Bears! 

(Yes, I attended more college after Cal, but that's a different story.)

Comments