Thursday, December 04, 2008

Arrival in New York City

I'm sure you all remember that I was the lucky winner of the Scienceblogs.com Millionth Comment Contest. The grand prize was a trip to New York City, with museum tickets, meals and meeting science bloggers thrown in. So here I am in Manhattan, having a ball, and taking lots of photos. I'll be posting a few over the next few days.

Day 1 - yesterday - was mostly taken up by travel from SoCal to New York. There were no significant delays, and, beyond the general annoyances of cross-country travel the trip was uneventful. United Airlines seems to be nickel-and-diming us travelers, charging $15 for a checked back, skipping free in-flight food (not even peanuts) and upselling at every chance (I had to click through 2 upsell screens to print out my boarding pass, for example). Anyway, we landed safe and sound at La Guardia and caught a cab to drive us to our hotel. The trip was supposed to be 8 miles, so I figured about 20 minutes or so. Those of you familiar with New York City rush hour traffic are probably cracking up at that idea. I think the last mile alone took 20 minutes.

Anyway, we arrived at our hotel, the Moderne, which is conveniently located in Midtown Manhattan. It's got a modern-a-la-the-1960s with boldly painted walls and pop art decor. Our room isn't huge, but it's got what we need - a bed, a desk, WiFi internet access and a TV. And I was excited to find a big basket of swag from Seed Media and the scienceblogs.com science bloggers. Very very cool.

Thanks to all the science bloggers for selecting such great stuff.
If I missed anybody, I apologize! Also, most of these items can be purchased through Amazon.com or Cafe Press - once I have more time I'll link them up, in case you are looking for a nice geeky gift.

There was also some nice ScienceBlogs.com and Seed Media stuff, including a tote bag which it turned out I desperately needed because my purse I brought along is much too small.

More to come . . .

(And a big shout out to Seed Media's Erin Johnson who made all the travel arrangements, and met us at the hotel. Great job!)

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Drugmonkey said...

waitaminnit.....Zuska has tshirts? where do I get one?

4:04 PM  
Blogger ScienceWoman said...

Cool. I'm glad you're having a good time. And that you like the shirt.

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Dave Munger said...

Awesome! Wish I could be there too...

7:46 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Sounds like a great start to the trip.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Martin said...

And who said bloggers never get off their back sides and go anywhere?

11:51 AM  
Blogger Sandra Porter said...

Yep, the mug and magnets were from me. Hope you like them!

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home