Arrival in New York City

I'm sure you all remember that I was the lucky winner of the Scienceblogs.com Millionth Comment Contest. The grand prize was a trip to New York City, with museum tickets, meals and meeting science bloggers thrown in. So here I am in Manhattan, having a ball, and taking lots of photos. I'll be posting a few over the next few days.

Day 1 - yesterday - was mostly taken up by travel from SoCal to New York. There were no significant delays, and, beyond the general annoyances of cross-country travel the trip was uneventful. United Airlines seems to be nickel-and-diming us travelers, charging $15 for a checked back, skipping free in-flight food (not even peanuts) and upselling at every chance (I had to click through 2 upsell screens to print out my boarding pass, for example). Anyway, we landed safe and sound at La Guardia and caught a cab to drive us to our hotel. The trip was supposed to be 8 miles, so I figured about 20 minutes or so. Those of you familiar with New York City rush hour traffic are probably cracking up at that idea. I think the last mile alone took 20 minutes.

Anyway, we arrived at our hotel, the Moderne, which is conveniently located in Midtown Manhattan. It's got a modern-a-la-the-1960s with boldly painted walls and pop art decor. Our room isn't huge, but it's got what we need - a bed, a desk, WiFi internet access and a TV. And I was excited to find a big basket of swag from Seed Media and the scienceblogs.com science bloggers. Very very cool.

Thanks to all the science bloggers for selecting such great stuff.
If I missed anybody, I apologize! Also, most of these items can be purchased through Amazon.com or Cafe Press - once I have more time I'll link them up, in case you are looking for a nice geeky gift.

There was also some nice ScienceBlogs.com and Seed Media stuff, including a tote bag which it turned out I desperately needed because my purse I brought along is much too small.

More to come . . .

(And a big shout out to Seed Media's Erin Johnson who made all the travel arrangements, and met us at the hotel. Great job!)

Comments

Drugmonkey said…
waitaminnit.....Zuska has tshirts? where do I get one?
ScienceWoman said…
Cool. I'm glad you're having a good time. And that you like the shirt.
Anonymous said…
Awesome! Wish I could be there too...
Brian said…
Sounds like a great start to the trip.
Martin said…
And who said bloggers never get off their back sides and go anywhere?
Sandra Porter said…
Yep, the mug and magnets were from me. Hope you like them!