Friday Flower: Wildflowers of Big Bear Lake

Yes, I know it's Saturday, but my husband and I spent the past couple of days at Big Bear Lake. It was wonderful - fresh mountain air, no distractions from the internet, and wildflowers everywhere. We stayed in our own little cabin, and there were purple lupine and yellow columbine growing outside our door.



We took a nice nature hike to see the Champion Lodgepole Pine. The trail meandered between the forest and meadow, with wildflowers everywhere. Most of the trees in the forest were Jeffrey pine, which has bark that smells of vanilla.


We took a roundabout route, adding a mile and a half or so to the easy nature trail. It was worth it!



The "champion" lodgepole pine is estimated to be more than 400 years old, and is the largest known lodgepole pine in the world. You can't really see much more than its huge trunk. Barring fire or other natural catastrophe, it might stand for hundreds of years more.



Tags: , , , ,

Comments

Brian said…
Nice photos Peg.
These really are pretty, and make me want to get off the computer and out for a hike!
Peggy K said…
In a perfect world, I'd have a satellite uplink on my laptop (and an extra battery), so I could surf and enjoy nature at the same time.
Anonymous said…
I agree with Crabby.Your pictures and narrative inspire me to get off the computer and go for my usual walk at nearby Lake Chabot.

When I walk alone, I am much more aware of the tiny wild flowers and animals and the other sights and sounds of nature. I love it.

I suspect that you have already found a way to surf and enjoy nature at the same time! Good for you.