Chevys Kill Me

Just now an ad for Chevy came on that featured Don McLean's "American Pie". I think they wanted the catchy tune and all-American nostalgic feeling it produces (plus them mention Chevys). The problem is that I know the chorus and I'll bet you know the chorus too. You're probably humming it now -

Bye, bye miss American pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee, but the levee was dry
Them good ole boys drinking whiskey and rye

The ad then jumps into another round of "bye bye," but in my head I always hear the next line of the chorus -

And singin’, this’ll be the day that I die.
this’ll be the day that I die.


Last week two carloads of teens on the way home from their senior picnic were in an accident very close to where I live. The cars - a Honda Civic and Chevy Tahoe - were speeding and apparently brushed against each other. The Civic plunged down a 25 foot ravine, but the driver and passengers only sustained minor injuries. The Tahoe rolled several times resulting in the death of two of the passengers. A third boy is still in critical condition.

I'm hoping those ads don't run much longer.

Tags: , ,

Comments

Cath Smith said…
I sometimes wonder whether advertisers really think about the music they use. It's seems they take a "Hey, it's catchy, let's use that one!" approach.

Sometimes they get it right tho -- there was an ad that ran in the UK a while ago that used Mungo Jerry's In the Summertime:

In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find


It was a drink driving campaign. I still can't hear the song without seeing that ad.
Anonymous said…
Thanks. I always notice when the ads stop the music after "levee," and I always sing the end of the chorus. I was a pedestrian in a crosswalk when I was hit by a car. I don't know what brand--maybe Chevy--but "This'll be the day that I die," has a personal ring. And I like Don McLean, and understand the story behind the song. The advertisers are misusing it big time.
Thanks for saying so.