Quality of Light

About five thirty this evening I noticed the clouds had an almost unearthly yellow glow. I stepped outside and witnessed a spectacular sunset.

Yucaipa sunsetYucaipa sunset

To the West the horizon was clear. The slush-rain storm we had last night must have washed away the usual dust and smog in the air. To the East, Mt. San Gorgonio was completely enshrouded in a bank of clouds that reflected the yellow sunlight.

As the sun set further, the color deepened from yellow to a fiery orange-red that I simply couldn't capture in the photos I took.





For comparison, here's the view to the East on a sunny day in January (there was just as much snow on the mountain when I got up this morning):

Beautiful!
Tags: , ,

Comments

Nichola said…
Those photos are stunning.

Sometimes I see similar colours, but I only have a 1.3megapixel camera; my mobile phone's the same.

Plus, living in Scotland, the weather's not healthy enough to justify spending a huge wodge of cash on a new camera - unless it was rainproof!
Anonymous said…
Those pictures have set me dreaming. Thank you.
Leah J. Utas said…
What gorgeous pics.
Thanks for posting them.
Kappa no He said…
Fantastic. I miss the sky more than anything.
Talia said…
Spectacular photos, especially the ones with the yellow clouds.
Peggy K said…
I'll confess that my first thought was that there must be a massive fire somewhere for the clouds to take on that color. Thankfully, that wasn't the case.
Tori O. said…
That is beautiful.

You have such a pretty setting going on there. There have been numerous times as I'm driving to take Piper to my mother's that I wish I had my camera so I could stop and take pictures.