What You Didn't Know About Me (or, I've Been Tagged!)

I was tagged by D.T. Kelly at the Secret Government EGGO project, to share "five things people don't know about me". OK, here goes.

#1 I'm a compulsive reader.

Now you're thinking, "So what, I like to read too", but do you read in the shower? I'm not too picky either - if no good novels are lying around, a cereal box will do.

#2 I'm afraid of heights.

I'm even affected when I'm watching TV. Just the image of someone walking along the edge of a cliff or hanging off a building ledge will get my hands trembling and palms sweating (they're actually sweating a bit right now, just thinking about it). Fortunately, it hasn't really directly affected my enjoyment of life. I've been to the top of the Eiffel Tower, along the rim trail of the Grand Canyon, and up the tramway in Palm Springs - I simply stay back from the edge and look ahead rather than down.

I will never be able to be a skyscraper construction worker, but I can live with that.

#3 I was a letterman in high school.

Do people even use the term letterman anymore? Anyway, people that are familiar with my bookish and currently largely (alas) sedentary self might be surprised that I was on the swim team in high school. I even have the varsity letter to prove it. I wasn't the worst on the team, but I couldn't come close to the top swimmers, who had Olympic qualifying times under their belts (or at least tucked under their swim suit straps). The closest I got to the swim team in college was ogling Matt Biondi, and it's been downhill ever since.

#4 I can do the hustle

Way back in the 70s, when I was in elementary school, dancing was part of the PE curriculum, and yes, we learned to do the hustle. At about that time - when I was 10 or 11 - my family took a trip through the Midwest. We stopped at an amusement park in Ohio (maybe Kings Island?) and, at one of the shows, I was one of several people picked from the audience to do the hustle on stage. I'm sure mom and dad have embarrassing video footage of it somewhere . . .

More recently, I've learned to do the country hustle (aka the "electric slide") to the tune of "Pink Cadillac". I think I could even remember the original hustle steps if only my husband's band would play a disco tune or two. (Yup, that was a shameless plug.)

#5 I like a bit of bitter

Strong black coffee, no sugar - dark chocolate - hoppy beer - I love them all.

Now for five new taggees:

Brian @ Atomic Bear Press
Talia @ The Centre for Emotional Well Being
Kira @ Loving Twilight
Tiffany @ Tiffany's Smorgasboard
Bhaswati @ At Home, Writing

Tags:

Comments

Anonymous said…
I was also tagged by D.T. Kelly. Now I'm anxious to follow all these links to see how others respond. A glimpse into someone's personal life just thrills me!
Anonymous said…
LOL it's all new to me - never heard of this before but what a good idea. Like a snowball dance.

Thanks for tagging me (I think)

I love the reading in the shower, and reading cereal boxes. Sounds just like me. I'm better now but when I was a kid I carried a book everywhere. I'd walk out to the letterbox with my book, set the table while carrying a book, read and vacuum. Well forget the vacuum, but I still read...
Brian said…
Ok sis. I posted and tag 5 more (former?) friends.

My post is HERE!
Peggy K said…
I wish I was coordinated enough to read while I vacuum. It's too loud to listen to music, and it's just so boring . . .
Brian said…
You could listen to music on an iPod while you clean.
Peggy K said…
You are just showing off that you have an iPod :-)
Anonymous said…
Well that was definitely a challenge LOL

My post is here for the blog chain 'five things people don't know about me'

I spent many frustrating minutes trying to work out how to embed the link. Well I guess now I've learned something new LOL
Talia