Eat, Drink and Be Merry

I'm sure this will hit all the news broadcasts tonight:
Huge amounts of a red wine extract seemed to help obese mice eat a high-fat diet and still live a long and healthy life, suggests a new study that some experts are calling "landmark" research.
[snip]
The study by the Harvard Medical School and the National Institute of Aging shows that heavy doses of red wine extract lowers the rate of diabetes, liver problems and other fat-related ill effects in obese mice.
According to the abstract of the study there is evidence from studies in mice, flies and nematodes that resveratrol (found in red wine) "produces changes associated with longer lifespan", with effects similar to caloric restriction. Of course there is no evidence (as yet) that this would work in people, but I am willing to up my red wine intake*, just in case.
* Yes, I know the test used resveratrol extract, but I like to take it in a more "natural" form. High levels of resveratrol are also found in Itadori tea, and at lower levels in grapes, peanuts and soy sauce.

Tags: , ,

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love having more reasons to drink wine every day! Thanks for sharing these tidbits!
Ugh. You can have my share of the red stuff. I'll stick to ... umm... water?
Anonymous said…
Yes, I read about that study, too.

It's nice to know there is something tasty we can still look forward to enjoying as we get older.

Cheers!
Peggy K said…
Susan: I'll happily drink your share. You probably need to stick to the nice dark red raspberry and grape juice for healthy goodness.
Anonymous said…
The only thing I can drink is red Merlot. And it has to be good. There are a lot of studies on wine and health. Anyone who does not want their glass or glasses :) - send em over. I always will look for a chance to see the world in a brighter way!
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.