Sliced Bread

I've said it zillions* of times, "that invention is the greatest thing since sliced bread". If you think about it too hard, it starts to sound silly. I mean, there have been knives (or sharp cutting instruments) around even longer than leavened baked wheat flour products. Of course the real innovation was an automated bread slicer, invented by Otto Rohwedder in 1928, with a patent issued in 1932. He initially couldn't interest bakers in using the device, so, in that sense, he was a man ahead of his time. It wasn't until after 1930, when Wonder Bread began selling presliced loaves, that other bakeries followed suit. Now it's hard to imagine a supermarket that doesn't have sliced bread. You can read more of this history at PHOTSITA.

* approximately

Tags: , ,

Comments

Unknown said…
Pretty cool and informative article Peggy. No need to be loafing around now (groan) so I need to get back to my writing. See you soon.
Ooh, Simran, that's bad.

I was just going to say that I fell out of love with sliced bread when I discovered a local bread bakery. They make round loaves and tell you the technique for cutting the best slices, and I found that I prefer that now!

Of course, with kids, the sliced stuff is easier. But once they're a little bit older... back to the artisian breads!
Peggy K said…
Very punny Simran :-)

There is something very comforting about sliced bread in a bag. It's definitely not the same as a fresh crusty loaf, but it does last a lot longer!
Marilyn Braun said…
Thank god for bread slicers and pre-sliced bread! I can't cut a straight piece of bread to save my life. Luckily it doesn't affect the taste.

I agree with Peggy that having pre-sliced bread in a bag is great and lasts longer. I just choose not to think about why it lasts longer, it might be too disturbing! ;)