Wires Aren't Enough

This is a post in Round 3 of the AW Chain.

In the last post in the chain, Kelly Curtis wrote about her new 8 megapixel camera, which puts my antique 1.3 megapixel Olympus to shame. She also writes about her families lack of high tech video equipment - no TV at all!

My husband and I have been in the process of moving, and it's become clear we are just the opposite. We had our cable TV and internet service hooked up even before the furniture was moved. No Playstation here, but we have four computers between the two of us. That's not to mention the DVD player, VHS player, and Hi-8 video player. There is a continuous low level hum from all of the equipment, and, if CRT monitors cause cancer, we are doomed.

Fortunately, we aren't completely electricity dependent. The zillion* boxes of books we have will come in handy if the power ever goes out, or "the big one" hits. Despite my fondness for the computer, nothing can replace words on paper in my heart. So what if the cable goes out? A light source and a book is all the entertainment I need.

* Zillion may be a slight exaggeration. It just seems like a zillion when you are carrying boxes back and forth.

** Yes, once I get organized I'll continue my posts about our 2004 cross-country trip.

And keeping with the photography theme, the view down our street:

Jennifer Sando is up next. Be sure to check out her post!

In case you missed them, the Round 2 posts are listed in the sidebar under recommended reading.
Read the AW Chain!


Tags: ,

Comments

Kappa no He said…
What a beautiful view! I miss the sky...
jennifersando said…
Thanks Peggy! We are also nuts about our PCs (between Hubby and I, we have 3 and 2 laptops as well) - crazy! I'll post something soon...
Kelly Curtis said…
Too funny - I love "zillion". We have a ba-zillion of some things too.

What a gorgeous view!! Hope life in your new place settles down soon.
Anonymous said…
We have quite the electronics collection, here, too. Men and their toys. Sheesh! :p
Anonymous said…
The trouble with toys is there are always more that one wants. Always and always and always.
I can commiserate with the weight of a zillion books being carted up and down stairs during a move. When I moved I think I had more boxes of books than I had anything else.
Peggy K said…
The upside of moving is that some old favorites that had been pushed to the back of the bookshelf have resurfaced. I've got a nice stack I'm looking forward to rereading.
Wendy Gunderson said…
Did you discover odd "spare parts" when you moved? We always seem to end up with more cables than equipment every time we move!
Peggy K said…
No odd spare parts so far. However, I can't find the !@#$ box I put my rice cooker cord in - I remember it was a different box than the rice cooker, but that's about all. It hasn't turned up so far, and I've had to go back to cooking rice on the stove (the horror!).
Andrea Allison said…
I know what you mean about moving. It seems you either lose something you need or find things you haven't seen in years.

When we made the move from Texas to Oklahoma, I realized just how many books I had. I think my mom wished I was a light reader.
Anonymous said…
My husband and I are always moving, but when we finally settle somewhere, I can see us being just like you guys- a gazillion books between us (the bulk of which would be mine) and electronics up the wazoo! We both like toys!