Vanessa forces me to share my weird habits

I've been tagged by Vanessa to share five of my weird habits. This is one of those internet "memes" that lets you share something about yourself and get you know your fellow bloggers. My first reaction was "Who, me? I don't have any weird habits", but then I thought about it a little more came to my senses and was able to come up with five items.

The rules are simple: The first player of this game starts with the topic “five weird habits” and people who get tagged need to write an entry about their five weird habits as well as state this rule clearly. In the end, you need to choose the next five people to be tagged and link to their web journals. Don’t forget to leave a comment in their blog or journal that says “You have been tagged” (assuming they take comments) and tell them to read yours.

So here are five of my weird habits:

1. Like Vanessa, I go to bed with a book pretty much every night. I'm usually still alert enough to put the book down on the nightstand before completely falling asleep, though (and I usually only have one or two books on my side of the bed - it's hubby's side that looks like a library after an earthquake).

True story: when I was writing my thesis I was pretty sleep deprived, but I still read a little fiction every night to help unwind. One night, I was in such a fog I missed my nightstand, and somehow put the book down on top of my lamp. Unfortunately, it was a desk lamp with a special, very hot (halogen?) bulb. I was awakened a few hours later by the smell of burning paperback. For some reason I can't remember the title - those days are just a blur.

2. OK, this is seriously weird. I like to read in the shower. Yup, you read that right, in the shower. That's one reason why I'll never switch over to one of those $300 electronic readers - give me a used paperback any day. (did I mention I was a compulsive reader?)

3. I'm a compulsive organizer. It's not that I'm a neat freak (or even very tidy), it's just that I take a special satisfaction in sorting and categorizing. (If you ever meet Gene, ask him about the "papers in alphabetical order' incident - I'll say no more.). Anyway, the del.icio.us social bookmark site was like a dream come true. The down side is that I have lots of stuff in "to be organized piles" that I just haven't gotten around to going through.

4. I hate not knowing where I'm going. Maybe it's due to my intrinsic poor sense of direction, but I need to look up directions or at least dig out a map whenever I'm going somewhere new.

5. I love to listen to talking on the radio when I'm driving. Occasionally I like music, but most of the time I am tuned to NPR (Fresh Air, Car Talk and Science Friday are among my favorites) or one of the AM news radio stations. I don't like idiot call in shows of any political stripe, mostly because I don't drive well when I'm annoyed*. Just nice chunks of news, information and intelligent interviews for me.

*The stupidest caller I ever heard was on a radio show I was listening to between Kettleman City and the Grapevine. The caller was a youngish-sounding guy who told a long story about how he went into a bar, approached a group of "big black guys" (his words), and proceeded to barate them with racial slurs. Why did he do that? To prove to himself that he wouldn't cry when they beat him up. I had never heard someone admit to such an idiotic stunt. Even the talk radio host seemed to be at a loss for words.

What did I find out about myself with this meme? I am a total information/book geek - but that isn't anything I didn't know already.

I haven't linked to the tagees, in case they don't feel like playing. If you were tagged and want to participate, leave a comment and I'll link back to your post.

Update: Thanks for sharing Sharon.

Tags:

Comments

Sharon Cullars said…
I've divulged all.