Recipe: Persimmon Bread

Tonight I used up some of our bounty of fuyu persimmons by making persimmon bread. My favorite recipe is from the Dave Wilson Nursery "How to Use Persimmons" guide. It's quite simple:

RECIPE:

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees (F).

2. Blend 2 eggs, 3/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup oil.

3. Mix 1 cup persimmon pulp (I mash mine in a blender) with 1 teaspoon baking soda. Mix the persimmon-soda blend into the egg-sugar-oil mixture

4. Mix 1-1/2 cups sifted flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt. To the dry ingredients add 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts and 1/2 cup raisins.

5. Fold the dry ingredients into the persimmon-egg-oil-sugar mix. Don't overmix.

6. Pour the batter into a 3x4x9 inch oiled lof pan.

7. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

8. Let cool, then loosen the bread from the pan with a knife (if necessary). Wrap tightly.

This freezes well, so I usually make two.

Tags: , ,

Comments

Anonymous said…
are you sure you mean Fuyu persimmons? They are very crisp like apples--most recipies calling for persimmon pulp mean Haychia persimmons.
Peggy K said…
Indeed I meant Fuyus. At the time I posted this, I had a Fuyu persimmon tree and was gathering recipes to use up the abundant crop.

My favorite uses for Fuyus (other than just eating) are simply cut up into salad or made into a spicy salsa.
Anonymous said…
Delicious! I have a Fuyu tree and was looking for a good bread recipe. I made this for a group of 3 year olds and they devoured it. Thank you for sharing!