Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Welsh writer Dylan Thomas is considered among the greatest poets of the 20th century. Salon.com is providing the entire eleven-volume Caedmon collection of Dylan Thomas reading his poetry and stories (as well as the work of others) as free MP3 downloads. Volume 1 includes the story "A Child's Christmas in Wales" and the poem, "Do Not Go Gentle...".

If you are not a Salon.com subscriber, you will have to watch a brief commercial to access the downloads.

(via BoingBoing, which recommends the reading of "Lament" on CD2)

Tags: ,

Comments

Anonymous said…
uh no that is incorrect, if you are not a salon elitist, there are no downloads. Brief ad? pfft no.
Peggy K said…
Okay, the length of the ad may not be "brief" by your definition, but I downloaded several of the MP3s with no problem at all, and I definitely don't have a Salon subscription.

Unless you define "elitist" as "someone willing to let a boring ad play on their browser".
Anonymous said…
Whatever about the unnecessary 'elitist' comments, I can't get past salon's requirements either. For some of us at least, if seems that downloads are not possible without a subscription. Perhaps you can tell us how you managed to get by? For my part, I click on the link labelled "Dylan Thomas: The Caedmon Collection, Part 2" and am told in no uncertain terms: "Want to read more? This article is Salon Premium content and only available to subscribers.". No download. Your guidance would be appreciated!
Peggy K said…
When I click on one of the links, such as The Cadmon Collection, Part 2, I get a screen that has the following along the top: "Premiums Login", "Read Salon Articles for Free; Click Here and Watch a Brief Ad" and "Preview Salon Hompage". I click on the "Read Salon Articles for Free", let the ad play (right now for the movie "In Her Shoes") until I get the "Enter Salon" link, which I click on to get the MP3 download page.

It works for me in Firefox fine. It only seems to work for me in Safari if I get a "Day Pass" first (by clicking on a different article and selecting the commercial option), then go to the Dylan Thomas page and select a CD. Maybe it needs to see that a cookie is set? I do use Firefox to read articles from Salon, so that may be why it worked for me immediately.

I don't have the most recent version of Explorer, so I can't tell you if it works there.

Good Luck!