Wake Me Up When September Ends

Tonight I went downtown to the farmer's market. As I was heading back to my car, a procession of people carrying candles silently walked past the Mission Inn and gathered in a circle in front of the library. I realized this was one of the vigils in support of Cindy Sheehan, the mother whose soldier son was killed in Iraq, who has been protesting the war outside Bush's Texas ranch.

Most of the participants appeared to be middle-aged women and families, with a number of young children. I can't even imagine the heartbreak of families who have lost a family member in a war that was initiated under dubious circumstances and that has no concrete end in sight.

It may be trite, but it made me think of the Green Day "Wake Me Up When September Ends" video (from iFilm - you have to watch an ad first).

Tags: , ,

Comments